Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Social Media and Web 2.0 Questions

1.  When we watch television and modern day commercials I am astonished over the quality and graphics of the video.  Instead, some companies are putting out commercials trying to look "homegrown."  I believe this homegrown approach fits some but not most situations for modern day advertising and media.  For example, I liked when they used it in the movie paranormal activity as it added to the authenticity of the movie.  Overall, I believe that there is a place for the "homegrown" approach, but I also believe proffesional production practices will continue to dominate the market.

2.  Personally, I find myself using facebook more than any other social media site.  It allows me to stay in touch with my friends and family around the world.  In addition, when I have a group assignment, I like to set up a message thread to make for easy communication between  the group members.  It allows all the group members the ability to brainstorm with each other online and delegate responsibilities.  I believe Facebook is so much more successful than Myspace because it was originally created for college students o socialize rather than for sharing music and what not.  I think Facebook will be here for the long term as long as there are tech savy college students.  And lets be honest, todays students are not becoming any less tech savy.

3.  Most mistakes made by social media companies are a result of astroturfing and transparency.  Astroturfing is used by both politicians and companies to in order to make the online user become a follower of the product or person.  In 2009, Facebook changed its privacy policy and reported that it owned all the content on their site including all pictures of the users. In addition, Facebook has been reported and accused of giving out users information to online advertisers.  Transparancy is a very important marketing and advertising tool but it must be used honestly and fairly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment